install mac from usb drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haoqfu, Jun 15, 2009.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

hey guys,
    i'm thinking of have a back up of the mac os on the flash drive. i did some research, and it seems the most popular approach is to use the disk utility and restore the leopard dvd image to flash drive and boot from it.

just got 2 quick questions regarding this method:
    1. i need a full disk image of the mac os, how much space shall i need for the flash drive? 8GB or 16GB?

2. do i have to get a retail version of leopard or can i use the grey installation disks that comes with macbook?

any input is appreciated!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Mac OS comes on a DVD, which is only about 4.2 GB (max), so an 8 GB flash drive will be plenty big enough to hold the restored files.

As for your second question, I strongly recommend a retail box. You avoid hardware incompatibilities that way (because the MacBook disc contains only files for that specific MacBook model).

3. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply.

i will be mainly using it for my own macbook only, so hardware compatibility won't be an issue for me (i also would like to save some money from buying the retail version)

so if i'm restoring from the grey disks, do i need both of them or just disk1 should be enuff?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Depends on if you need to install the bundled software or not. If you don't, then Disc 1 only is all you need. Otherwise, you'll need Disc 2 also. Note that you'll probably need 2 flash drives in this case, since Disc 1 is bootable, but Disc 2 isn't.

5. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

right.. the grey disks include ilife, which i will need to install. i will try tonite and see if it is possible to partition the usb flash into 2 partitions and restore both CDs' disk images onto it.

thanks again.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ever heard of DUAL LAYER DVDs? The disk is not 4.2gb.

However 8gb should work. I use a 16gb so I don't keep track of the size.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have heard of Dual Layer DVDs but didn't think Apple needed to use one to hold Leopard. Thanks for the info!

8. LtCarter47 macrumors regular

LtCarter47

The retail disk is definitely a dual layer. I haven't checked my various gray discs but I would imagine they are as well. Every Apple DVD I've encountered where I noticed the size was a dual layer.