"install mac os x cannot be used from this volume"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by keekl, Oct 1, 2010.

1. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I am attempting to upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5.8. I am using an external dvd drive if that matters. The window below is what shows up. I've repaired permissions and have read that I may need a powered USB hub for external DVD drive though I did put in a movie dvd and it ran fine.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. keekl thread starter macrumors regular

keekl

Brand new 10.6.3

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know it's a different problem, so a second thread can be justified, but it would help if you let other members (a.k.a potential problem solvers ;)) know the background story.

5. keekl thread starter macrumors regular

keekl

:eek: Thought about it and then got distracted, sorry.

In this case is the "volume" the disk, the drive, or current OS?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Seems like it means drive.

7. keekl thread starter macrumors regular

keekl

This is a new drive~is there something I should look for on the box to see if it is the right kind?

When I run disk utility it does not "see" the DVD drive.

8. keekl thread starter macrumors regular

keekl

I'm not persuaded it is the dvd drive; I put in the original Leopard install disk and it booted fine.

I guess I'll have to call Apple about it this morning.

9. keekl thread starter macrumors regular

keekl

I scheduled Apple to call me at 6:00 and they did. A very nice fellow went through some diagnostics but was unable to fix the issue. He thinks it may be a corrupted HD or bad disc and recommend I take computer to store (a reseller in my case) for further diagnostics. I stumped him, but I have to say it was a very pleasant 50 minutes...all customer service should be cooperative.

He wanted to go through a reinstall but I wasn't prepared to do that now so I may try it before taking to store.

One thing that I can't figure is, if my HD is messed up, why don't I see any problems? I told him this machine runs as nice or nicer than when it was new. There is not one thing I can point to and say "this is bad" or "this doesn't work like it should"...other than trying to update to Snow Leopard.

So if it is a corrupted HD (and it is almost 4 years old) it will be hilarious in that my old malfunctioning machine works far better than the "good" PCs at work:D