Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brapmac740

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Alright so I have this Installmac toolbar that shows up when I initially open Firefox. I go to toolbar and it is not listed.

This worries me, as most of the time I can remove toolbars. My 14 year old brother and another 12 year old girl was trolling around on my mac a few days ago when my wife and I had a birthday party get together. I know it's incredibly hard to get a virus on a mac, but I have no idea what these kids were doing.

And as smart as kids are, my brother may or may not know my password when installing applications.

Is anyone familiar with this Installmac toolbar, or 'mock/fake' toolbar. What would I do to go about getting rid of this, or determining if it is in fact malicious?

I have attached a photo of how the Firefox looks when I initially open the browser.

Attachments

• macrumor.jpg
    macrumor.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 131

brapmac740

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Wow, I am a moron.

My homepage was set to installmac. So clearly, the kids just clicked on Ok when prompted to use 'installmac' as their homepage.

Feel free to tell me how stupid I am, I deserve it.

*idiot.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
To me it looks like he changed your homepage..? I see the "toolbar" you speak of, but it seem to be part of the opened page.

----------

Never mind, you fixed it while I was typing :D

brapmac740

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
To me it looks like he changed your homepage..? I see the "toolbar" you speak of, but it seem to be part of the opened page.

----------

Never mind, you fixed it while inwas typing :D

I noticed that as well when I opened the attachement in the thread and I just sat there and thought to myself: "Wow, you're a jackass."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.