Install MacBook Specific App on iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NYR99, Dec 20, 2011.

1. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to install a MacBook specific app on an iMac? I am trying to download my cable companies live TV streaming app on my iMac, but it is only made for MacBooks, so it is not working.

When I open the installer I get an error saying "We're sorry -- the Optimum App for Laptop supports only laptop computers without external displays connected"

Any workarounds for this or am I SOL?

2. simsaladimbamba

Strange, as an app for Mac OS X should run on any Mac with the minimum requirements, but maybe the installer checks for the model identifier.
    What actual application are you talking about and have you contacted your cable company yet?

3. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This app
    And They wouldn't be any help, because for some reason they don't want people having this app on desktop computers.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

They are probably worried (actually contractually obligated to worry) about people using this program to record content. So they are worried about the DVI cable comming out from your computer being used to create a digital recording. Since there is no copy protection on DVI, this is a quasi-legitimate worry.

So my guess is that they actively check for secure-only connections (like built in video), and protect from that. If you had an iMac, that would probably count, but my guess is that their programmers did not take even that into account.

So really, this is all about organizations like the MPAA (and their members like the networks and all of the movie studios) being paraniod and causing you inconvience. Make sure they know you don't like this. And if you can vote with your dollars (or denomination of your choice) do so.

5. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

One possible workaround, install it on a laptop and after that manually copy the App to your iMac?

If the protection is only in the installer, it will work, if it's hardcoded in the application probably not.

Worth a try!

6. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. jumpinjoe macrumors member

Just downloaded today, 6-20-2012 on my 2010 iMac. The optimum app for laptops is working fine on the iMac. :)