Install MacOS from USB flash drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bergenrov, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bergenrov macrumors newbie

My MacOS partition recently crashed, fortunately my bootcamp Windows partition still works.

The next problem I'm having is that my Mac OS cd is lost and I only have an image of it on my harddrive and dont currently dint have the possibility to burn it.

This is what I want to do, I want to put the installation files on a USB driver I have to boot the "installation cd" from there. The problem is that all the guides show how to install it from a flash drive configured from Mac OS. I have MacDrive installed in Windows but im not able to format it to be bootable.

How can I make a bootable mac partition in Windows?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

its not so clear what you've said, but i think u said u have a partition on ur hard drive just of the cd? if this is so, turn on the computer and when u hear a chime, hold the option key until hard disks appear, click on the one u copied the disk to. it should boot up, and then u can install it onto macintosh hd. if this isnt what youve said, take it to the apple store, let them install it for u, they may even install snow leopard. but its a good try, i mean if u cant get anything to work, u still have crappy old windows, but ur mac turned into the best PC out there. lol good luck.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How close is the nearest Genius Bar? It would probably be a lot faster....

4. bergenrov thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to format a USB flash driver using Windows to be a bootable Mac (HFS) drive.

Currently i can format it in Windows using MacDrive but its not bootable.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

When you format the external you need to select GUID when switching from MS formats to Apple... then it will boot.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well, i am pretty sure u have mac os x cd on a partition of ur hard drive, as u didnt say u didnt, so boot into that, go to disk utility, format the usb there, install snow leopard or whatever u wanted to do, and boot. again not so clear what u are trying to accomplish.