Install Mavericks AFTER Win 8.1 without bootcamp?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by d3vilsadvocate, Oct 25, 2013.

1. d3vilsadvocate macrumors newbie

Hey there

I installed Win8.1 natively recently and wiped the whole SDD of my MBA in the process. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to dual boot both Win8.1 and Mavericks without using bootcamp, i.e. by installing OSX as a second OS and not as a first? Can this be done?

Thanks!

2. duri macrumors member

duri

As much I know, you have to install OSX first and Windows second with bootcamp. Later if you like more go boot into Windows :eek: as default you can set this up as your default start volume.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

You can install Windows in its own partition without using Bootcamp to do the partitioning. You may well need to use the Bootcamp drivers though to get all hardware working properly.
    It will also bring other challenges with it - like booting, though a boot manager like refit might work well.

4. Fimeg macrumors regular

Yes, I've done it.

I'm running OSX, Linux, and Windows 8.1 all with EFI booting.
    You only issue has to do with partitioning. Boot up the Windows OS and partition the drive so you have sufficient free space for OSX. You'll also need the EFI partition at the root of your drive. It must be the first partition. Then, reinstall OSX. It won't be difficult.

You don't need a boot manager.

5. d3vilsadvocate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your quick replies.

I don't think I have a EFI partition left to be honest. I installed Win8 like on a Windows machine and all I got are the 350MB System Reserved partition and the C: drive. I had to wipe the whole disk because Win8 refused to be installed on a GPT partitioned disk.

I'll give it a shot tho and start the installation process of OSX. Will see how it goes and report back ;)

6. Fimeg macrumors regular

In order to install Windows 8 you have to use imagex and expand the install.wim file to the HD. There are several guides online.