Install Mavericks on Aluminum MacBook 5,1

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by grandpa06, Jan 30, 2014.

1. grandpa06 macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Mavericks on an Aluminum MacBook 5,1. It was built supposedly early 2009. It has 4 GB of RAM. It is now running Snow Leopard.
    I have read the specs for Mavericks and Mountain Lion from different sites.
    This laptop should be support either operating system according to what I read.
    I keep getting an error message when I start to install, that Mavericks cannot be installed on this device. I do not want to buy Mountain Lion, if it will give the same message. The specs for Mountain Lion are the same as Mavericks.
    So what am I missing in the specs or the install that is stopping the install?
    Thanks in advance.
    Don

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

yes, this model can run Mavericks.

But… what is your current version of Snow Leopard : 10.6.X ?

(ok it's 10.6.8 if you downloaded Mavericks from this computer, but you might have downloaded from another computer).

3. allthingsapple macrumors member

Firstly. Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade from Snow Leopard?. If you're doing a clean install Open Disk utility, Click partition and reformat the disk using the Mac OS Extended format, making sure the Guid partition table (GPT) is enabled from the options button just below the white box showing your disk partitions on the left. If you're doing an upgrade from Snow Leopard, use the mac app store to upgrade to Mavericks.

4. grandpa06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have version 10.6.8.
    I want to do an upgrade only. I have a version that I have brought over on a flashdrive. How can I get to the app store from Snow Leopard?
    Thanks for information.
    Don

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

10.6.8 is ok : you can upgrade to Mavericks.

App Store : there is an application "App Store" in your Applications folder.
    Launch it to access the App Store.

You will need an Apple ID.
    If you don't have one yet, you can create one from here or from iTunes, or form the App Store ("Store" menu).

Before you upgrade, save all your data (Time Machine, clone).
    Beware that some of your apps might be not compatible with Mavericks.

If you wish to create an USB stick installer, you must do it prior to install, since the installer will delete itself at the end of the installation.

6. grandpa06 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I thought, but I did not see it last night on the computer. I will check again.
    Thanks
    Don

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I have Mavericks running great on a 5,1 Macbook.

You might consider adding some RAM though - 4G is a bit skinny these days.

8. grandpa06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that 4 is small, but this machine cannot use much more. The trick I had to use was to download Mavericks from the App Store and then it worked okay. It did not like the old copy I had on flash drive. All is working okay.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Don

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I have a late 2007 mbp with 4gb ram and it runs nicely.

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This machine (Macbook 5,1) can use 8 Go of RAM.