install multiple windows OS along with mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darakok, Jul 21, 2010.

1. darakok macrumors newbie

Hello everyone here,

My mac OS version is 10.6.3. My model identifier is MacBookPro6,2. The currently the mac OS is installed on the only 1 partition of the hard disk. I want to install 2 version of windows: XP and windows 7 by creating a second and third partition for each of the additional windows.

Additionally, i want to create another 2 partition for storing my personal data. so total my harddisk structure would be something like this:

1. Mac OS X 10.6.3
    2. XP Sp3
    3. Windows 7
    4. Data1
    5. Data2

I read rEFIt website and found out that this utility can help me achieve what i mentioned above. so i install it on my Mac OS X partition, and create the partition layout as above. i boot my macbook pro from the XP cd and start in the installation. once the partition format and file copy is over and the system restart, i can see my new XP partition from the rEFIt boot menu but when i select to start it, it shows this error "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Can anybody here help me, how can i install 2 addtional windows plus 2 additional data partition?

Thanks,
    dara kok

2. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I'm a total newbie with Mac, but used Bootcamp that comes with the latest OSX, and then installed WinXP Pro SP3 which prompts to create the additional HDD partitions etc. and then Win install, and thereafter you have the duel boot if you hold down the "Option" key when powering up.

I'm sure this will work for you.

I did this solely to use my RC helicopter flight SIM package (Phoenix).