Install new Airport firmware?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Emanuele, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Emanuele macrumors member

Guys...

:)

I bought an Airport Extreme yesterday and it could have not been simpler to set up! It works flawlessly, ichat works great with both video and audio (my family is oversea) and I can even see both my macs on the network using Back to my Mac! (still have to try from University)! I am very happy!

Now, it just said to me that a new firmware is available! I have 7.2.1 but should I install it?

Thank you!

Emanuele

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I did but a lot of people haven't for some reason. Anyway, it works for me with no problems.

3. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

No, I wouldn't. If you have a disk attached to your AEBS, then don't. While not updating will not fix your problems completely, the problems only get worse with the update. You can get it and you can always roll back, though.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

5. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

You're in the minority if you have the gigabit AEBS. Most people are having issues with it, check out the apple discussions forum... or this one.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Oh it's only an issue with the gigabit one? I think I got one that came out before they stealth upgraded it gigabit. That would explain why I'm having not problems.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

how can I tell if I have a gigabit one?
    I just got it up and running, had some issues though.
    It was a refurb, so not sure how to tell! Not in the orig box anyway.

edit: I guess a clue that I don't have a gigabit is the fact that the manual describes the ports as 10/100. So does that mean I don't have a gigabit (just making it a very obvious answer).

8. pamon macrumors 6502

i initally installed it but my airdisk didn't recognize and i had torrent issues with it, went back to the previous version and works perfectly...

9. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I don't have the gigabit Extreme, I have one litteraly a day before the store sold the gigabits.

anyway, prior to the upgrade, I as having a crap load of problems with connectivity , airdisk were fine though.

After getting 7.2.1, I had a very stable network connection, still do. However, I lost the airdisks (printer works fine though) .

10. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I too have gone back to 7.1.1 on my non-gigabit AEBS, both because of the sporadic AirDisk problems, and also because NAT-PMP (automatic port mapping) is completely busted in 7.2.1.