Install non-store app without jailbreaking- can it be done?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 6Stringer, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 6Stringer macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

Specifically, I'm trying to install Handy Light on an iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1 and really don't want to jailbreak the phone to do this.

I've used Macfuse with a phone mounter and can see the Payload folder with the specfic app within the ipa file. I've tried editing the apps' iTunesMetadata.plist file but don't know what changes need to be made to make this app appear "store legit." What steps am I missing? Can this be done?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will gladly pay the developer of Handy Light (Nick Lee) if I can make this work.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can only be done via XCode, sans jailbreaking. But you'd need the source code and a working developer account.

3. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

To go into a little more detail, the developer can send you an app for ad-hoc distribution. You as the end user don't need to do anything different to use or install it but it would have to be the developer with xcode and obviously, the Apple Developer account.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just jailbreak the damned phone. All it does is give you access to the root directory, so that you can do precisely what you are trying to do. You don't even have to install Cydia if you don't want to.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The only other option would be to find a nice developer who would volunteer to compile iProxy for you (does exactly what Handylight does without the attempt at obfuscation).

6. 6Stringer thread starter macrumors newbie

I KNEW this was the wrong week to quit the Nice Developers Club! Actually, your suggestion would be more handy than Handy Light.