Install on a separate partition - is it safe to login to iCloud?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by aevan, Jun 26, 2016.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I've been thinking of installing the Sierra DP on my external SSD. This will give me a chance to try it out, and use El Capitan as the main OS. However, I've been wondering, will logging into my Apple ID/iCloud Account somehow mess up the data for previous versions? El Capitan made the Notes unusable on older OSes, for example. I'm guessing there will be no problems, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It might. I don't have Sierra, so have not tested this, but I know on previous OS X updates like this the OS did make changes to the storage format of things like Notes that made it rough to go back.

Sidenote: Just finished both the Witcher 3 expansion packs and really enjoyed them. Have you played those yet.

3. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

As your experience with a past pre-release found a problem (an incompatibility), I would be more cautious with thoughts of the current pre-release.

4. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Hehe. I'm on the first of the two expansions - don't have a lot of time to play! When I'm done with that one, I'm getting the next. It's great so far!