Install OS X 10.3 Spinning Gear

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SeanAstronaut, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SeanAstronaut macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm installing 10.3 onto an iMac G3 that has 9.2.2 and the proper firmware updates on it. I put in the disc and restart and it gets past the white apple screen but then a blue screen with a spinning gear came up. I waited ten minutes with the gear spinning indefinitely. I restarted and now it won't get past the white apple screen. Also the white apple screen doesn't have a spinning gear anymore like it usually does.
    I've tried resetting the p-ram but no change.
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks
    Sean

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Disk scratched?

What happens if you hold OPTION when you boot?

3. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk is fine as far as I can tell.
    When I hold option I get the blue screen where I choose between the standard startup drive and the osx boot disc. When I choose the boot disc it goes to the white apple screen and either stays blank or the gear spin forever. One time it got to a blue screen where a gear spun forever.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hold Cmd-V while booting to put it in verbose mode, and see whether there's anything obvious in the log. Remember that the system can multitask so the problem may not be on the last line.

5. SeanAstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the verbose mode. Is there anything I should look for in particular other than the word error I assume?
    Also should I be trying this with the boot disc in?
    Thanks again