Install OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Drew017, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Can I use that USB installer apple sells online to upgrade my MacBook to Lion? Even though the sig says it has Lion, it actually has Leopard. Also, if I somehow got a DMG of the installer (Theoretically, because I'm dont know where I could get one anyway), could I restore it to a USB and do an install? Will I have to do a clean install?

Also, when you upgrade your OS X, does the installer delete the system, keep your files, and install a new system... Or does it just overwrite the old stuff and put in the new? Because I don't want to waste space on my mac...

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Forget about upgrading if you're going to Lion from Leopard. It won't work. So back up all your data first.

You can restore the Lion dmg into a USB and then boot from the USB. Make a fresh install and you're good to go!

If you have any Snow Leopard systems, you can perform a system upgrade, where only the OS is replaced, but keeps files, settings, etc.

Anyway, there's no harm waiting until September (because 10.8 Mountain Lion will come out around that time)

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I don't recommend using Lion with 2GB of RAM. You can't update from Leopard -> Lion. Only clean install. Which never hurts anything, just make sure you've backed up your important data.

4. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

That's what I thought... No Leopard upgrades. I haven't transferred any data from my USB time machine backup for this very reason, because I'm getting Lion. Any reason why apple made the installer like this? Even from, say, a USB installer bought from the Apple online store? Also, I was thinking of creating a tiny installer partition, restoring the installer DMG from the installer app to it, and use it for clean install, instead of a USB. Then I would delete it. I've done this before, when I had to reinstall Leopard from a DMG backup I had.

Another question -> I heard that Lion won't boot right or let you set up your account if you enter in an apple ID that hasn't bought Lion. Not that I have any reason that this would happen to me, but I was just wondering. I was gonna get a MacBook that already had Lion on it before I got this one, and I wanted to know how I would set it up, knowing that I hadn't bought Lion yet.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can always skip the Apple ID process. I installed Lion on my school's iMac and never entered my Apple ID, it worked flawlessly.

6. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017