Install OS X - need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ekatz143, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ekatz143 macrumors newbie

I got a new macbook today, with two install disks - one for OS X, and one for Applications. I started the computer and went through the set up process, then installed the OS X disk. Once it started going, I realized that the disks were probably if I ever needed to reinstall the programs, as all of the applications were already there. I tried to just eject the disk, and when that didn't work I turned the computer off. When it brought me back to the start up screen, I chose the original icon to restart and the computer booted up just fine. However, I now keep getting a pop up that Spotlight won't load. I don't even know what that is. Should I go ahead and reinstall the Applications and OS X disks just to be on the safe side?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Spotlight is the search feature on the computer. Think of it like Windows Live Search 4.0 but not as sluggish. It can find anything not in a system library or hidden. Depending on if you notice any other oddities after interrupting the install, I would recommend just doing a clean erase & install. FYI in the future, interrupting an update or an install process on a Mac is just a bad idea.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Interrupting an update in progress on ANY system will mess something up.

Your best bet is to reinstall.

BTW Macs come ready to use with clean system install. Remember that next time.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, I always do a fresh install when I get a new computer, since the default Mac OS X install includes about 10 GB of crap I don't use, including language localizations, printer drivers, and the entire iLife suite.