Install OS X on multiple disks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pknz, Jun 23, 2010.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Hi,

I am considering reinstalling Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro. At the moment I use one hard drive for the System, Applications and Users.

Is it possible (and easy) to install the system to one disk, and the applications and users to another disk?

Or do some applications prefer to be on the same disk as the system?

Thanks

2. dotbat macrumors newbie

multi drives for os

yes there is a way. i run 4 hDs, os 10.5.8 1 drive i run the system from and 1 i have users and apps. 1 i use for wips and the last i use as VM. you need to get carbon copy cloner and symbolic linker and finally change your sys prefs-accounts-advanced options to point it to the new user drive. the link to the directions are on macgurus. the name of the article is why and how to move yur user directory by rick stephens. i like this set up makes updating a breeze havent tried 10.6 yet. and there is only one app that refuses to install on the split users drive its always directed to install in the system drive. hope this helps

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

So the real question is, why do you want to do this? If you just have small drives, chances are it’s still going to be problematic and you should just upgrade the drive. If you think it will provide a performance improvement, know this: it won’t.

If you’re just playing around, sure, but you’ll have to do the standard install first, then use soft links to move stuff around. Google the term to find out the syntax for doing so in the Terminal, or wait for someone to post those commands directly (I don’t do it often enough to have them memorized).

jW