Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCrackAddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
getting a 2011 MBP 13" and intel 320 300gb SSD. i have no problems physically installing the new SSD but once i have can i just put the original install discs in to get it working or is it a more complicated process?

thanks

MacCrackAddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
im not going with the optibay route but thanks, just a straight switch for the extra speed

was just worried if i switch them over im gonna end up with a completely ********* mac that wont boot! seems to be i can just boot from disc and install it to the SSD as you would on any other HDD or external

thanks for the great responses guys :)

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Back up the old disk to another hard disk via a program like Super Duper!, connect the SSD and format it, then copy the backed up hard disk over to the SSD and remove and replace the old hard disk with your new SSD.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
When I installed my SSD I just did a Carbon Copy Clone from my HDD to the SSD using a USB enclosure. Then I did a test boot from the SSD while still in the enclosure (no sense doing the hardware swap if it won't boot). Everything worked perfectly for me. I didn't need to do a reinstall from the DVD, although I'm planning to do that after a few projects are finished.

oojosheoo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
When I installed my SSD I just did a Carbon Copy Clone from my HDD to the SSD using a USB enclosure. Then I did a test boot from the SSD while still in the enclosure (no sense doing the hardware swap if it won't boot). Everything worked perfectly for me. I didn't need to do a reinstall from the DVD, although I'm planning to do that after a few projects are finished.

Great advice!

USB enclosure is your best friend in this case. That way you can make sure everything works fine and not having to open your mac more than once.

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008

Great advice!

USB enclosure is your best friend in this case. That way you can make sure everything works fine and not having to open your mac more than once.

Ditto this. It works like a champ.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
And as a bonus, now I have a 320GB USB 3.0 drive (not that I have 3.0 on my 2010 MBP). So far I've just cloned my drive to it once a month just in case I suffer from some SSD woes that others have reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.