Install OS X on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrackAddict, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

getting a 2011 MBP 13" and intel 320 300gb SSD. i have no problems physically installing the new SSD but once i have can i just put the original install discs in to get it working or is it a more complicated process?

thanks

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this

3. oojosheoo macrumors member

4. MacCrackAddict thread starter macrumors member

im not going with the optibay route but thanks, just a straight switch for the extra speed

was just worried if i switch them over im gonna end up with a completely ********* mac that wont boot! seems to be i can just boot from disc and install it to the SSD as you would on any other HDD or external

thanks for the great responses guys :)

5. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Back up the old disk to another hard disk via a program like Super Duper!, connect the SSD and format it, then copy the backed up hard disk over to the SSD and remove and replace the old hard disk with your new SSD.

6. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

When I installed my SSD I just did a Carbon Copy Clone from my HDD to the SSD using a USB enclosure. Then I did a test boot from the SSD while still in the enclosure (no sense doing the hardware swap if it won't boot). Everything worked perfectly for me. I didn't need to do a reinstall from the DVD, although I'm planning to do that after a few projects are finished.

7. oojosheoo macrumors member

Great advice!

USB enclosure is your best friend in this case. That way you can make sure everything works fine and not having to open your mac more than once.

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Ditto this. It works like a champ.

9. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

And as a bonus, now I have a 320GB USB 3.0 drive (not that I have 3.0 on my 2010 MBP). So far I've just cloned my drive to it once a month just in case I suffer from some SSD woes that others have reported.