Install OSX 10.5 .dmg file from External Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mohicanspap, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mohicanspap macrumors regular

I know that there are plenty of threads here that instruct me on how to do this but I have seen those threads and they jump around in a random order. Also its seems that those threads don't clarify what I exactly want to do here. I have a copy of 10.5 in both .cdr and .dmg files in an external harddrive and I would like to install either one of those into my PowerBook which is currently running 10.4 Now its seems that it is only possible to do this by making a partition either in the external drive or on the laptop. I really dont want to make a partition but instead to just replace/upgrade the laptop from 10.4 to 10.5 I really hope that I dont need the retail disc to do so. If there is someone out there that knows how to do this please comment or leave a response. I would really appreciate your time and effort for helping out a stressed college student.

:EDIT: This is not a torrent Leopard file but a backup i have made from the stone age of 10.5 and my retail dvd disc is long gone

There is no time for apostrophes.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

from Things not to do on MacRumors

EDIT: Then get a dual layer DVD? Or do you have the PowerBook 1.67GHz model without the DL-DVD writing capabilities?
    Has a friend a Mac with a DL-DVD Superdrive or burner?

[​IMG]

3. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

I do have a early 2009 MacBook with DL burning capabilities. How would I go about burning the image onto that DVD if you don't mind me asking?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Open Disk Utility, then choose Burn Image ...

5. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhh. Well I will have to do this tomorrow and see where it takes me. Thank you for the help and I apologize for the misunderstanding in the first post. Again Thank You!!

6. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Just had a thought. Would it work if I were to put the PowerBook in Target mode. Hooked it up to my MacBook Via USB and used Disk Utility to restore the OSX 10.5.dmg onto the PowerBook or would that just make a partition along with the 10.4 that is currently on the PowerBook?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That'd just make a partition of the disc, not install it. You need to burn it and install.

8. mohicanspap thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I see. So the only way to just install it would be burning onto a DL DVD. Thank you for your comments :)