Install OSX 10.6.3 from desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ipadDev, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ipadDev macrumors member

Here is my situation I am building a new hackpro and for my last hackintosh I bought the OSX install DVD and my brother took it last time he was at my place. I also won't have my 8GB flash drive until monday. I backed up my dvd like most important things.

I have a usb hard drive and that is really it to get it to my new mac, but I just got a used mini that is 10.5.8 and I would like to upgrade the OS to 10.6 can I simply drop the dmg file on the desktop of the 10.5.8 and install the upgrade?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What .dmg?

Also you can't upgrade from 10.5.x to 10.6.x without an installation medium like a DVD, as every Mac OS X 10.x version is a paid version (except 10.1), so you have to have the SL DVD to upgrade form 10.5.8 to 10.6.x.

Unless you mean something else, but you haven't been that specific about it.

3. ipadDev thread starter macrumors member

I made a .dmg out of my 10.6 upgrade DVD.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Use restore in disk utility to restore the DMG to the flash drive, plug the flash drive into the mini, reboot and old the option key and select the flash drive as the boot disk.

5. ipadDev thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but I was asking if I could do the same with a USB Hard drive because the usb stick I ordered is coming in a few days.

Or could I just put the .dmg onto the mini's desktop and install that way?

6. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

As far as I know you have to boot from the DVD to install OS X. So using a dmg to install OS X on the same volume where the dmg is saved, won't work.

Loa

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Or a volume that has had the install DVD cloned to it.

The Mini should be able to boot to USB (assuming it is Intel). Your post is hard to follow but I assume that is what you want to upgrade. A USB Hard Drive will work just as the USB stick will.

You cannot install it from a DMG that is placed on the desktop.

8. ipadDev thread starter macrumors member