Install OSX from an External Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Monsieur, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Hey folks!

I'm working on a friend's MBP, she screwed up her OSX installation and it needs to be reinstalled (as far as I can tell!)

I found these tutorials:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/02/inst...or-how-to-upgrade-to-106-without-a-dvd-drive/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZu23C8a78

When I get to this section:

"*Next, click the “Restore” tab within Disk Utility
    * Select your newly made Snow Leopard 10.6 Install DVD image and restore this image to the GUID partition you just created OR…
    * Alternatively, you can select the Snow Leopard Install DVD and restore directly from the DVD to the GUID partition"

I'm unable to do the second of these options, and when I try the first, I get this message: "Restore Failure. Could not find any scan information. The source image needs to be imagescanned before it can be restored."

I have no idea what this means, nor where to turn from here...

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey simsaladimbamba,

Thanks for your response!

I don't have a DMG...when I followed the instructions, it created a .CDR (no idea what that is!)

I looked at the link you provided...that's pretty much what I did...

How do I create a DMG?

Once I've created, what do I do next?

4. simsaladimbamba

A CDR is just another type of disc image.
    Don't you have a normal Snow Leopard DVD?
    Do you have an external HDD using HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) as format?

5. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I've been using the OSX install DVD that came with my MBP (09/2009...so, Snow Leopard)

Yup...well...the instructions were for Mac OS Extended (journaled), which is what I've been using...

6. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Help a brutha out? Lil help?

Help a brutha out? Lil help?

I just need to install OSX from an external hard drive...shouldn't be too complicated, right? But the tutorials I've found online haven't worked...does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks!

7. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, didn't see your reply, too many subscriptions I guess.
    That grey Restore DVD might not work with the MBP your friend has, if s/he does not have the same Mac.
    Does your friend not have the DVD for his/her Mac anymore?

It shouldn't be complicated.
    Maybe I should go into more detail about what I did on my 2009 MBP, which came with 10.5.

I bought the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD, the one with 10.6.3 on it, which will not work on 2010 or 2011 Macs.
    I opened CarbonCopyCloner, selected the DVD as Source and an external HDD, properly formatted and partitioned, as my Target.
    I then pressed the Clone button.

This will also work, if you have a .CDR or .DMG and mount it via Finder or select "Restore from disk image" as Source in CCC.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're using the grey disks, then you need to be sure that both MBPs are the same model. Apple keys the disks so they only boot up on the at type.

9. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

simsaladimbamba and maflynn...thanks so much for your responses. i'm going to work on getting the original osx install disc for my friend's computer and we'll go from there!