install osx FROM windows machine

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by westikle, Feb 9, 2011.

1. westikle macrumors newbie

hi, i have a macbook pro santa rosa model that has been affected by the gpu recall. i opted for the nvidia settlement and they have sent me the packaging in the mail to send off the MB and have the gpu replaced. the problem is that there is no hard drive in it right now as it was removed to recover data and then lost. i have a sata harddrive, usb to sata cable, and macdrive installed on my windows machine. the harddrive is formatted htfs as of now. i know i can use macdrive to format it, but is there a way i can actually install osx to the drive as well. i have the install disc. obviously i can't do it on the MB as it has no visual feedback whatsoever.

thanks
    wes

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does the MB have FireWire and support Target Disk Mode?

Do you know anyone else with a Mac that could do the install for you?

I don't think they'll care if you just ship it with a blank drive anyhow.

B

3. westikle thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if it has FireWire or target mode or what. I don't think it matters since I can't actually use the MB. I could use my brothers mac but he lives an hour away and I don't have any chance to see him soon.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

As I said, send it back with an empty drive. If they boot it, they will likely use an external diagnostic HDD.

B

5. westikle thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I guess I'll just do that. I'll at least format the drive first though.

thanks

6. westikle thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so here is what happened. i sent the affected MBP off the nvidia with a blank formatted hard drive in it. this was just over a week ago. the website said it would take 4-6 weeks to get it back. i get home today and there is my mac, just chilling at the front door. there is a letter inside the box stating that the problem was a software issue and that a software update was performed on the hard drive. i call BS right. and get this, it isn't even the same computer. the one they sent back to me is in much better shape and has a different serial number. now i'm not complaining because i'm in better shape than when i started, but that is some real shady stuff. someone else might not be cool with it. i mean, if you are just going to send me a different computer, let me know. don't send some letter about a software update. again, i'm not complaining, but what does anyone else think?