Install OSX on a new internal HD on a PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gerancherc, Feb 1, 2015.

1. gerancherc macrumors newbie

Good Day,
    My son would like to install OSX on a second internal hard drive in his PC so he can use X-Code. Since I have the install disk for Snow Leopard, I thought he could begin from there and update to a new OSX version after the install. Can anyone point me to steps for this procedure or if you believe another method is preferred to that information?

Thanks....

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking to create a hackintosh (a PC running OS X), then the best place for advise are the forums over at Insanely Mac or at TonyMacX86.

There are a lot of variables and configuration changes that are required to get OS X running on a PC, and in some cases it may not run. Some motherboards, chipsets and CPUs are incompatible. Going over to Insanely Mac or TonyMacX86 will give the details you need.

3. gerancherc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info. I know that my son has already researched this issue on the TonyMacX86 site. He initially was going to try a USB installation procedure. I don't know if he tried the Insanely Mac resource or not.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point though is that there is no one set of procedures, there are many ways, and depending in your chipset, motherboard and even Bios, you have differing sets of steps to undertake.

Personally, if he's serious about doing Xcode development, it may be easier to pick up a Mac Mini or a MacBook Air (used or new) for such tasks.

5. gerancherc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, he is aware of the differences that can be roadblocks. He was telling me all about that.Something about flags for enabling/disabling various things that could be causing issues. I would love to have a new Mac, but right now it's not in the budge. And, he just got a new machine that was build by CyberPower PC with some crazy hardware. That was a combo Christmas and birthday deal this year. He just turned 13 and is really into programming which is why he wants to be able to run the latest X code. Unfortunately, my Mac is too old to upgrade to even Mavericks.(I gave that a try and was really glad I use Backblaze!) We'll keep on plugging away and I'm sure we'll find something. In the meantime, have a great day. Looks like more snow on the way today for the northeast! Have a great day.

Charlie

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If the PC is new Snow Leopard isn't going to work. Most of the install how to's are going to require you download the latest OS X from the MAS which you won't be able to do because your Mac is unsupported. There are other ways but your googlefu will need to be strong or you'll need to check your conscience at the door. IMHO the last two options aren't viable longer-term they make fixing breaks very hard.

7. gerancherc thread starter macrumors newbie

He was able to install Snow Leopard from my disk, but could not get drivers for many things including ethernet card. On to the next idea.....

8. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

If he is only 13 the version of xcode will not matter one iota.

9. gerancherc thread starter macrumors newbie

Why do you say that? I have a feeling he is more advanced than most his age. He has been programming for a while and is very quick to learn.