install osx on iMac G3 600

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by D ROCK, Apr 26, 2007.

1. D ROCK macrumors regular

I bought a G3 imac 600 from an auction. no cd's came with it. it has software on it with multiple user logins. I can only login to one user who didn't use a password but cannot login as the admin.
    it is running os 9.2.2 and I would like to upgrade to osx.
    do I first need to update teh firmware???/
    if so how do I do this?
    will not having admin access be a problem?

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Check and see if it already has OS X on it. Mine did when I go it (10.0.3). Go to the Apple Menu, Control Panels, and then Startup Disk.

You must upgrade to Firmware 4.1.9 before installing 10.2 or later. I believe it will show up in Software Update, also in the Control Panels in the Apple Menu. You will need to push on the Programmer's button (near the reset button) at some point in the update. If you do it wrong, you might brick your computer (or at least get really close to.)

Not being an Admin shouldn't be a problem unless if an Admin is set up in OS X and you aren't one.

They should have included the restore disks. I'm surprised, and a little bit worried they didn't, but I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Oh, and make sure you have at least 128 MB RAM. However, 10.3 or later is very sluggish if you only have 128. It'll work with 10.3 or later, but it's extremely sluggish if you have more than one app open.

Good luck.

3. D ROCK thread starter macrumors regular

Also I have been looking into the HDD upgrade and I was wondeing... I know 120 gig is max for the iMac but i can't find one locally. I can find an 80 gig and a 160 gig... the 160 is only $16.00 CDN more!
    If I understand correctly I could get the 160 gig and install it and the iMac will only see it as a 120 gig????
    that would still be more than 80 and for the price I think it is still justified.
    would this work?

4. D ROCK thread starter macrumors regular

They didn't supply disks cause it was from a school surplus and bought later at an auction so if they originally gave the guy the disks they got lost in the transfer to the auction... or sold as another lot I dunno... anywayz... I never got them. so I can upgrade to os 10.0 without a firmware update???
    and what do I have to know before making it a brick!? I definately DON"T want to do that!

I will be updating the RAM to 1 gig (2x 512) later next week.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'd recommend you buy online and but the best 120 GB for your machine. Like I said before the 120 GB Seagate 8 MB cache is amazing.

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

You can upgrade from 10.0.0-10.1.5 without the firmware. You'll need to have it, though, for 10.2.0 and beyond. Check to see if you already have OS X on it, and check to see if the firmware update is in the Software Update...if not, then use the link I gave you.

7. D ROCK thread starter macrumors regular

i definately do not have osx yet. it is 9.2.2.
    where do I check software update in os 9?
    its been so long!

will I need firmware then to upgrade my HDD to a 120 gig, my RAM to 1gig, my cd drive to a DVD superdrive, and my os to OSX?

8. D ROCK thread starter macrumors regular

the application software update cannot be opened b/c it is locked.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

All macs capable of running OS X sold before 2003 can run either one. You can choose either one in the Startup Disk, where it will also tell you if you have both. The last of the slot load iMac G3's came with both, but Apple decided not to have OS X as the primary OS until 2002 because there was no software for it initially.

Yikes! You may have some problems if you aren't the admin in OS 9. Do you know anybody with a copy of OS 9 anywhere?