Install Panther & Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bleimone, Apr 7, 2008.

1. bleimone macrumors member

I have a program that will not run on Tiger and so I am in need of having Panther around when I need it.

Questions #1) Is there a Parrallels type software that can run Panther virtually?

Question #2) How (give detailed instructions) can I install both Tiger and Panther on my iBook and be able to choose at Startup which OS I want to run.

Thanks for your help.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm not sure about Parallels (or something similar) running an older OSX. It's possible, but I've never heard of it being done.

If you want both system, you need to partition your hard drive in two and install each OS on its own partition. When you boot up, hold down the 'option' key to select which OS to boot to.

Edit: If it's feasible, I'd recommend getting a small portable external hard drive or something similar and throwing Panther on that. Especially if you don't need Panther all that often.

3. bleimone thread starter macrumors member

partition on external

that's what I was thinking about doing. I have a firewire and usb 2.0 drive. I would be using panther on the ibook more often, but I have an intel iMac as well. I have read some places that you can't boot via usb drive with PowerPC. is that true?

Also -- i have read some places that you can't have a partitioned drive to boot from, but you need one completely dedicated....

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's possible. Do you have a firewire port? If so, you'll want to connect the drive via firewire for better results anyway. But I've never tried booted to a usb-connected drive, so I really don't know about that.

Not exactly sure what you mean. You can't partition you main hard drive and have one of the partitions be what you boot to? You can definitely do that. I've done it numerous times. When you partition a drive in two, OSX sees it as two separate drives. It doesn't care which one has the OS on it.

5. Manderson macrumors newbie

Will Intel macs run Panther? And if so will it run lightning fast because of how far hardware has come or will it run slow because it was designed for Power PC...

For example would a 2.2ghz macbook run panther better than a g3 Pismo Powerbook would run Leopard.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

AFAIK, no version of Panther was ever released for the Intel architecture. Panther is PPC only, I think.

7. Saliwa macrumors member

Q1) use VMware.

Q2) You need to repartition your hard drive and each OS on its own partition, and at startup if you hold the C key (to be confirmed) you can choose which partition to boot.

8. Saliwa macrumors member

1st off, Panther cannot run on MacIntel, even if it could, it would still run Leopard better than Panther, as it has optimizations for Intel cpus

9. bleimone thread starter macrumors member

got vmware fusion

so I miss spoke earlier... I have an intel imac running leopard that I want to install Tiger virtually.

I have installed vmware fusion, but every time its looking for a bootable CD it gives an error.

Does anyone know how to install tiger via vmware fusion on leopard?

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

So do I and I get the same errors.

I would also like to know if this can be done.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Partitioning your hard drive is the only way to go at the moment. Or run two computers with different operating systems.

12. superman193 macrumors regular

Put in the disk that came with your computer, click utilities > Disk Utility then partition your drive in 2 partitions install panther on the first and Tiger on the second.

When ever you want to boot to panther hold alt at boot and you will get a nice chooser menu OR you could download refit and it will give you a boot screen each boot.