Install Parallels partition in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tmelon, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I currently have Windows 10 installed through Parallels on my MBP and would like to have that partition on boot camp for the sake of battery life. Has anyone found any way to create a boot camp partition and then install the parallels file to it?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No good way to do it, no. The best way is the reverse - install a Boot Camp copy of Windows and then add that to Parallels.

You could do that, then start up both copies of Windows in Parallels at the same time, and run the Windows equivalent of the Migration Wizard to move everything from one copy of Windows to the other...

3. Tmelon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had considered that, but I wasn't sure if there would be licensing issues with Windows. I use OS X 99% of the time so I'm not sure how Windows treats transferring a license.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

When you go to activate the new install, it might "complain" that the license is already in use and make you call a call center to explain. Just say the truth - you're re-installing Windows on to the same computer. The person on the other end will give you the confirmation code to enter.

I've had to call to re-activate many times. I have never been denied reactivation.

5. doynton macrumors 6502

Unfortunately there is no such thing.

Windows 10 doesn't need a license at present (the current preview runs until October) so just install latest version of 10 and then copy your documents. As there are new builds so often it probably isn't worth trying to move what you have.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

D-oh! I missed that this was Windows 10. Yeah, install away!