Install previous version of Preview.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PalacePlayers, Jan 24, 2017.

1. PalacePlayers macrumors regular

Ever since 10.12.2 Preview has been a living disaster, with PDFs glitching and blinking non stop. I was dissapointed to see that there was no fix for this in 10.12.3, so I'm wondering if there is a way to download a previous build of the Preview app and run it on 10.12.3?

I'm a student and right now I'm almost completely paralyzed since Preview is bordeline unusable. I've tried Adobe Reader and other similar PDF apps but sadly non of them suits my needs like Preview did before they broke it. Thanks

2. jefnot macrumors newbie

i use 10.12.2 preview almost exclusively for pdfs adn jpgs, and haven't noticed a problem. also i admin for about 30 other macs, and haven't heard anything from them.

is it worth checking for issues with the pdf generation?

3. PalacePlayers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. Both me and my girlfriend are having the exact same problem, with PDFs glitching and blinking non stop. It is especially bad when adding annotations and such.

The PDFs are created from ppt-files in PowerPoint (girlfriend) and Keynote (me). The files are mostly 40-50 slides long ppt-files with text and pictures. I don't know yet if there is cltiching in PDF files not converted from ppt, I'm testing it right now.

What do you suggest I do with PDF generation?

4. mastermamo macrumors member

mastermamo

Use the preview from Snow Leopard. U can extract it from the SL installer. Most stable ever made

5. PalacePlayers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answer. Is it possible to get a quick guide on how I do this? Getting the SL Preview would be so great.

6. mastermamo macrumors member

mastermamo

Firstly what OS are u on? I've pulled my previous post on how to do this as sometimes moving from say Snow Leopard to Mavericks can cause issues. So let me know and I will post the stable solution based on your OS

7. mastermamo macrumors member

mastermamo

Alternatively drop me a pm with your mail address and I will zip and send u the stable preview version. All u need to do is drop it into your Applications folder. Once done simply right click the document type u want to open with this version of preview and set to change all.

8. mastermamo macrumors member

mastermamo

Here's what u to do for the DIY enthusiasts

Download Pacifist from MacUpdate. It will allow u to extract a fresh copy of the missing item(s) from the file archives on your OS X installation. The file archives are in the /System/Installations/ folder.

Insert your Mac OS X install disk and open Pacifist.
    In Pacifist, select "Open Mac OS X Install Packages"

When loading is complete, a new window appears, click the triangle to display contents of each package...Select item and proceed as below:

In the Toolbar (upper left), you now have the option to extract or install. Click a file (in this case the preview app)
    Select “Extract to...” and save to your desktop or flash
    Copy the extracted preview app to your Applications folder and then set it as the default app to open your selected documents with and select change all.
    That's it.
    This works flawlessly on El Kapitan and Yosemite. Haven't tried it on Sierra as preview seems stable on it.