Install printer driver for a Windows shared printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I need to install the Canon MP520 printer to my MBP. The printer is connected to another a PC running windows and is shared. I installed the OSX driver provided on the Canon page, I can see the printer in the network printers but when I am asked to choose the driver I can't see the correct model listed.

On the other hand, if I simply connect the same printer via USB, to my MBP it is recognized directly.

When I'm asked to provide the driver while adding the printer via the network, there is also the option to browse to the driver location. So my question is, where are the can I find the right driver on the OS ?

Thanks in advance ,
    Tex

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You shouldn't need to navigate the OS structure just to find a driver, especially on the Mac OS. That said, you can always try a similar Canon model, or a generic Canon driver, and see if that works.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I will try. But if via the USB I can find the exact driver, I should see it also when I connect it via the network. I"ll also read the manual :)

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    well I tried again but a there is no default Cannon driver and a "similar" model MP500 doesn't work. Once again, when I plug the printer via USB it is perfectly recognized so the drivers are installed ...

Tex