install problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by benhg, Feb 20, 2008.

1. benhg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a new mac pro. there are 2 hard drives in bay 1 and 2. 1 is for mac osx and the other is for time machine. there is a third drive in bay 4 which is where i want windows installed. however when i run boot camp assistant i get all the way to selecting the hard drive for windows vista but i get the error message:

"This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS manu"

How do i get past this problem?

Thanks in advance

Ben

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

dont quote me on this (although im sure i read it somewhere) but i think it maybe down to the bay order,try swapping them around & see if that helps

3. benhg thread starter macrumors newbie

already tried. i tried taking out my time machine drive and putting the windows drive in bay 2...did nothing, same problem. not sure what else to do...

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

have you tried windows in 1 and os x in 2? that is all i can think of as i dont own a mac pro

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

well unless there is some major difference between 1st and 2nd gen MP, then the drive position is not the problem. i have the exact setup as above, running vista/xp off of drive 4, and it's some leftover sata I POS i pulled from a customer PC upgrade project.

i am wondering about the partition on your drive 4. fire up X, use drive utility (apps>utilities>drive utility) and select your drive 4. at the bottom of the screen look at the 'partitioning scheme'. mine is 'master boot record', if you have something else, that would be the problem. you can fix it by clicking on the partition tab, and then the option button to pick MBR. best of luck.

EDIT: creating a new partition will delete any data on drive 4, so make sure you are backed up first!

6. benhg thread starter macrumors newbie

im still having issues, iv tried all combinations of partitioning.

does windows need to be installed on the same dick as leopard os?

its the only thing i havnt tried, but i dont really want it on the same drive if it can be avoided.

cheers