Install problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ncstatered21, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

Before we start I have a 13" Late 2008 Unibody Macbook with 2 GB of ram. Alright guys so heres my problem. I wanted to have a bigger boot camp partition so I deleted my Windows XP partition and did Boot Camp assistant again. After it completed there was no new partitioned drive on my desktop and my Macintosh hard drive was mysteriously missing 10 GB. So I was trying to find where this missing space was and in the midst of it I deleted everything on my hard drive :eek: (yeah i'm a huge idiot i know). Now the only install disk I have is for a 15" Macbook which I figured shouldn't make a difference. When I insert this CD and try to run installer it says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer". I tried to go into disk utility and wipe the drive clean but it does nothing. And in the midst of all this I am still missing 10GB of hard drive. I was able to install my copy of Windows XP but thats it. If anyone has any suggest it would be amazing. I'm stuck in a really bad place right now. :(

Thanks

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    hmmm … you're screwed basically.

hopefully you have a backup of your data files somewhere's??
    you will need to source install discs relevant to your 13" MB model (Apple themselves or an Apple parts seller would be your best bet)

other than that buy Snow Leopard and iLife + iWork and start over again.
    do your boot camp last or better still buy Parallels as personally I reckon boot camp is a tad sucky.

looking to the bright side, you will have a virtually brand new fast machine at the end of it.

good luck :D

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

System disks are tied to the mac they were shipped with. That is, 15" MBP system disks will not work with 13" MBP or an iMac (and vice versa).

Two options, one is to call apple and they'll ship out a new set, the second is to buy Snow Leopard for 25 bucks and get you moving again.

Hopefully you have a backup of your data.

4. ncstatered21 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know all my data is pretty much gone. I just want to get my computer running again. I have Windows XP for now but hopefully I can come up with a disk for the 13" model. I guess thats just what I will have to do. Luckily its the beginning of the school year and I didn't have any major files i needed for school. Just all my movies and music are gone but I can eventually get it all back.