Install question - please help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mattsterling01, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mattsterling01 macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I was hoping you could help me with a Boot Camp install question. I have a mid-2011 13" MacBook Pro and I'm trying to install Windows 7. I have a full copy of XP that I tried to install, but as you know, it's not supported. So I bought the upgrade to Windows 7 and am ready to install. But I read the Apple Boot Camp FAQ and it said I need to have a full retail copy of Windows 7 to install.
    Is there any way I can install Windows 7 on this laptop? Thanks in advance for your help!!

-matt

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can use the general workaround here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

As it turns out, the XP -> 7 upgrade is basically a clean install so you would end up roughly in the same place as if you installed XP and then upgraded to 7.

Since BCA will not recognize it you need to reboot manually and hold Alt/Option to select the DVD and every time you need to boot into wWindows during the install.

B

3. mattsterling01 thread starter macrumors newbie

clarify?

Thanks so much. Can you explain what you mean by this?

"Since BCA will not recognize it you need to reboot manually and hold Alt/Option to select the DVD and every time you need to boot into wWindows during the install."

-matt

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

When BCA is done repartitioning and it prompts you to insert the disc and reboot it will not recognize an upgrade disc.

Insert the disc anyhow and then reboot manually with :apple: -> Restart.

Once you hear the "bong" hold Alt/Option and select the Optical Drive.

Proceed with the BCA instructions, but do not enter the product key when prompted.

If you are prompted to reboot, hold Alt/Option again and select the BOOTCAMP partition.

Once it is all installed, repeat the install this time with the product key.

B

5. mattsterling01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like a plan. So I'll be installing it twice? I'll follow your directions and let you know how it goes.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Save yourself time and do the registry tweak method. I've done it a dozen times and it works fine. All it's doing is making windows "forget" that you booted from the disk instead of starting it from windows itself. :)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That works too, but some folks don't like messing with the registry.

The double install works every time, and is more inline with the intent of the installer.

B

8. mattsterling01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I went for the double install method and it worked like a champ. Thanks so much for all the help!!!

-matt