Install Quicktime X in Leopard (Not Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alabanco, Sep 17, 2009.

1. alabanco macrumors member

alabanco

I wonder is it possible to port and install Quicktime X in Leopard ? I really doubt that there is no way to see pure Quicktime screen with hidden controls

2. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I think that it's a 64bit app

But that would be great, if there way a way to hide all the controls and get that sleek control panel when pointing.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I don't think it's possible. Maybe with some coding knowledge, but I failed through dragging and dropping so it won't be simple.

4. alabanco thread starter macrumors member

alabanco

I don't need screen recording as there is a screenflow app for that which is more convenient

I don't need trimming

I would like to have at least quicktime with controls that can be hided like in Quicktime X. SO is it possible to have at least that particular thing ?

5. devburke Guest

Leopard can run 64 bit apps. That said, I still doubt it will work.

6. skunkworker macrumors regular

I really doubt that will work, as Quicktime X brought in a lot of under the hood stuff. And is more than just quicktimeplayer.app in the app folder

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I believe it uses more core APIs that are unique to SL.

8. alabanco thread starter macrumors member

alabanco

Does it mean that we will never see Quicktime with at least hidden controls like in Quicktime X in Leopard ?

9. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Not unless Apple make a Leopard version, which is highly unlikely regarding their viewpoint on legacy.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Correct. QuickTime 7 is the final version for leopard.

11. alabanco thread starter macrumors member

alabanco

Want to hear smth weird and wonderful at the same time?
    Try to open video in iTunes - it perfectly show you Quicktime X with hidden controls. So who is your Daddy, then?

All these talks about special codes and legacy is a B..ll.sh..t! I knew Quicktime X can perfectly be in Leopard. Since SL still very raw and buggy I want Quicktime X to be in Leopard

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It doesn't show you Quicktime X. Or anything like it. Quicktime X is the underlying playback architecture, not the UI. It's the CPU accelerated, simplified, streamlined playback architecture based on the code developed for the iPhone. The Quicktime Player in SL UI is based on the iTunes video API. To see the difference take two identical machines and try playing back the video on each. If it's in a format that can be played by Quicktime X (remember most can't and still use Quicktime 7 on SL) and the machine has a decent GPU then the CPU usage will be very different.

13. alabanco thread starter macrumors member

alabanco

14. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Of course you could always just buy SL when you want.. if its too buggy for you then just wait, until like 10.6.3 which ought to be relatively solid.. 25 quid for SL aint exactly a huge jump up from the Quicktime pro license which used to exist.. would solve some of your issues no?

15. skunkworker macrumors regular

How is SL raw and buggy? except for a few applications almost everything works perfectly fine.

16. alabanco thread starter macrumors member

alabanco