Install RAM in iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HazyCloud, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in the 2011 iMac. One, does anyone have a suggestion of what to use, and second, can Apple do this in-store and how much do they charge, if any? I know it can be done myself, but I'd rather not do it.

The current RAM is 4 GB 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM.

2. leman macrumors 604

Doing it yourself takes hardly more than 5 minutes and does not require any special skills. You just have to turn the computer off, unscrew the latch below, pull the plastic thingie so that old RAM pops out, push in the new RAM and reattach the latch. Done. Its really easy.

As to RAM, just buy some laptop-based PC3-10600 SO-DIMM. Corsair/Crucial/OWC are the usually recommended manufacturers here.

3. HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That easy, huh? I was under the impression the glass had to come off. That I did not want to mess with. I've built many computers in time, so I know what I'm doing but if removing the glass was part of it, I was out. Thanks for recommendations.

4. leman macrumors 604

The RAM on the 2011 model is user-replaceable ;) Here are instructions from Apple themselves:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

5. HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Yeah, if you go to "About This Mac" from the menu bar, then look at your memory.
    Apple provides a link to show you exactly how to change RAM.

Attached Files:

7. HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud