install rosetta?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maddagascar, Oct 26, 2009.

1. maddagascar macrumors regular

well i updated to snow leopard a while back when it first came out. i've been reading that rosetta was a default for Leopard..but is now an optional install for snow leopard..

but every time i try to install microsoft office 2008 and Photoshop, the installers prompt me to install rosetta. i know that office 08' is a universal, but the installer is PPC..

i understand that its only 2.0MB to install rosetta..but will it slow my computer down or anything? can i remove it after i install it.. it was obviously not made a default for SL for a reason. and last thing, will it convert anything that runs universal to PPC when ever i open it?

sorry, i know i'm a newb but thats so far my biggest question.

thanks!

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It won't do anything harmful. I believe it's basically optional to make people aware that they're using it and prod them to upgrade, since it's pretty slow and wasteful of memory to run rosetta apps.

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

For a newbie that's pretty sharp to realise that it's the Microsoft 08 installer that needs Rosetta to run and not the app itself.

Anyway, install Rosetta.

All that happens is that when you launch an app that can run on PPC only, Rosetta will launch too.

Universal apps won't run via Rosetta simply because it is on your system. In fact, if you wanted an app to run under Rosetta you would have to tell it to do so by right clicking on 'Get Info' and checking the Rosetta box in the info window shown.

So it won't slow your overall system down. Think of it as another tool in your Mac OS box. I need Rosetta to run my Nikon software, for example. It came with my camera four years ago.

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I refuse to install software from deadbeat developers. I would recommend replacing MS Office with OpenOffice or iWork. Either covers the needs of most users. There is no non-lame excuse for MS.

For PS I guess it depends how you use it. If it is your tool of the trade, then perhaps CS4 is the answer to use the latest tools & avoid rosetta (per my understanding), otherwise try something else like GIMP, or just bite the bullet and install rosetta.

5. maddagascar thread starter macrumors regular

haha...thanks, i appreciate it.. i always do my research a lot before i start a thread or ask questions..i've been on forums for a looong time and i always see how people get flamed for not using the search button. but yes, i do know that the office 08' installer needs rosetta..

soo pretty much your saying, that if i install another program that is universal, rosetta will not convert it by itself to run PPC..and that rosetta will only run in the background if needed. cause that was just my biggest fear, that everything universal/intel that i saw in the system profiler would convert to PPC once i installed rosetta.

just sucks that an installer runs PPC, and i have to install rosetta for 2 seconds to use the actual program..lol. the same as photoshop.

anything else i need to know about running rosetta?

6. maddagascar thread starter macrumors regular

yeaah, i feel you on that one..i already have iWork..but Word has this calendar template that i really like..hahaa..but also the other problem is photoshop..

i have photoshop 8.0.... which version is that, exactly? like cs4? cs3? or is just strictly 8.0?

7. maddagascar thread starter macrumors regular

hopefuly i'm not making a wrong decision installing this..lol.

8. maddagascar thread starter macrumors regular

doo you guys think if i revert back to leopard and install everything over, that when i do upgrade to SL that it will still be there, just this time not prompting for rosetta???:confused:

help anybody? cause, i'm still deciding whether to install it tonight or not..lol.

9. maddagascar thread starter macrumors regular

i guess i'm gonna bite the bullet..lol..no help here..

can some atleast tell me what photoshop 8.0 is? is it like cs4? or something? cause i don't wanna install it then it not be compatible with snow leopard.:(

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

If its only going to be 2.0MB's to install Rosetta then just go for it lol.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't get all worked up about installing rosetta.

If you have apps that are not universal binary, install it. If you don't install it, and then try running an app that needs it, you will be prompted to d/l rosetta.

I didn't initially install it, but then I had to d/l it because my scanner software was not UB.

Not really a huge deal and I barely gave it too much thought.

12. torma1985 macrumors newbie

Enabling Rosetta in Torq 1.5.2

Hey u guys,

I read all the possible forums ( well, most of them , I think) regarding the issue with the Snow Leopard + Torq duo. I understand, that u can make it work with rosetta. Now, it might be just my stupidity, but I installed rosetta all right, but when I wanted to tick the "open with rosetta" option on torq clicking on "get info" I couldn't find that box. Clearly, there's no "open with rosetta" option to tick.
    Can anyone suggest something? I have torq 1.5.2 and SL 10.6.3. installed with all the necessary updates.

thanks