install scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stkflote, Oct 8, 2008.

1. stkflote macrumors newbie

i cant get my canon lide 60 scanner to work, get the window file may be missing or damaged tried to uninstall and reinstall i have the disc ,it was working ok
    imac aluminium o sx leopard

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"get the window file may be missing or damaged tried to uninstall and reinstall i have the disc ,it was working ok" - what window file? I don't understand clearly, of course english was not my mother's tongue.

There should be a CanonScan application insider your applications folder, if the installation went right.

If not, you could download the latest drivers/software from the Canon support site, and try to install from that disk image or installer.

3. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou, there is but it still says same ive tried downloading latest driver ,problem is im not very good with the mac self taught ,scanner will work on my pc but i need to work on i mac

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

You say you've downloaded the latest driver for Intel/Leopard from Canon, but have you actually installed the driver? Did you, for example, need to restart your computer after downloading the latest driver?

As I understand it, from reading a review of that model of scanner, that it is USB-powered, not self-powered. Perhaps that is the problem, ie. insufficient power from the Mac USB port, and you need to route the scanner though a powered USB2 hub.

5. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

Hughvane,
    yes i did have to restart, when i bought the imac i only had to put scanner in usb the mac promtly found it and it worked ok now its just stopped i know scanner is working if i open the canoscan tool bocx then try a scan ia menu pops up say file may be missing or damaged or can open driver im getting ready to throw the lot awa been trying about three days now i do have oridginal scanner op disc keith

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I sympathise with your frustration, but there's got to be a cure. Which "file may be missing or damaged" suggests to me that there may be a need to repair permissions. Do you have Onyx? It's a free file utility that maintains your MacOS system. You can use Disk Utilities if you prefer. In either case, repair your OS permissions to see if that cleans up the access for the printer driver to the OS (or vice-versa).

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

no nothing works, have repaired permissions says failed to open driver files may be missing or damaged

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Okay, next step. Returning to your original post, you said that you uninstalled the Canon software. How do you do that, or, did you use the Uninstaller supplied with the Canon CD?

I suggest that you uninstall again, absolutely everything to do with the Canon scanner. Further, I recommend that you use a third-party application like CleanApp, which will search out every file associated with the Canon software, and choose the option to move files to the Trash (you may need one or two of them later, hopefully not).

Once you've done that, use Finder > Cmd-F to search for any remaining files that maybe left tucked away in the MacOS. If you do find any, delete them (to Trash).

Restart your computer. Then, reinstall the Canon scanner software and driver update for Leopard. Perhaps going through all that will clean out the damaged file, or finally install the required driver file for 10.5.5. Keep us informed of any progress - or otherwise :(.

10. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

hello Hughvane
    do you have to buy CleanApp ?? ive also lost all my download stack now suspect i dragged to trash while trying to do all this

11. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Shareware, US$10 to buy. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21453

Sorry, don't know what you mean by that. The Canon driver download? For now, just be careful what you empty from the Trash. In fact, I'd suggest that you put any discarded Canon software in a suitably named folder on the desktop, put that folder in the Trash so the System can't get at it, but DO NOT empty the Trash with that folder in it. Drag it out before emptying Trash.

12. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

hello hughvane,
    ive been on phone to mac support they talked me thru a download of Canoscan but it still does not work on IMAC ,it will work on pc ,it looks like the i mac will have to go to shop for a service and reinstall of leopard

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Not needed. That should be a last resort if the world was on fire etc.

No need for shareware uninstallers too, there are free ones that do the same thing.

There is only one driver for mac os x listed on the canon site for this scanner, download it.
    If you have to, there's also an uninstall utility there as well, try running that before all else to make sure everything is cleaned up.
    Get the canonscan software as well (right above the uninstall file on the page)

uninstall, relog, install driver, install software, relog plug the thing into the BACK of your mac and not the keyboard. Start the software, see if it warms up etc.

You CAN go see a genius bar (if your near an apple store) and have them try to help you, that's what they're there for.

14. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think we have a genius bar here in england uk,we go to shop we have to pay ,ive tried the canon download site and the uninstall but still getting no where ,i think its got to go in to shop for service and a complete reinstall of O P
    thanks keith

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need to go to a Apple shop for reinstallation of the OS. It's a waste of money, as you can do it yourself.

It's much easier than installing Windows.

Btw, there are two Apple Stores in London. One is on Oxford street I think.

But you can also see on the Apple site for yourself.

16. stkflote thread starter macrumors newbie

its no good going to apple store in London thats well over 100 miles away from me:eek: ,as for reinstalling no i cant do it myself i do not know how to even on windows i cant do that, Spinnerlys, i was on phone to apple support today he talked me thru a canon download of driver but it still doesnt work he sai nothing else he can do, this scanner did work on here dont why it wont now

17. jimbro macrumors newbie

Canon scanner lide 25 and others

I have just spent 4 weeks and 40 hours with my IT guy,canon support and Apple support to narrow down the scanner issues. ie driver is missing or parts ie reinstall driver. Well after hours my scanner is now working on an older version of Leopard but not the current 10.5.5. The problem extends to other scanners also (brother) I have installed the original 10.5 OS X then reinstall the Canon driver and all now works.When installing the canon driver I had to "force quit " on the "Delsg" icon as it bounced on my dock. Then when I updated the OS Beyond OS X 10.5.4 the scanner failed again. Then I reinstalled older OS X and drivers and it works again. It is a Mac issue on their version 10.5.5 so avoid it and your scanners will work. Hpefully Mac will correct on their next OS update Let me know if this works for you.