Install SL Now or Later?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dinamo9, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dinamo9 macrumors member

Hey Everyone, Just bought an iMac from Best Buy that came with Snow Leopard separate. What are the pros and cons of installing it now vs. later?

Thanks!

Miro

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just install it now. Why would you wait? If it lags, you can install Leopard from install discs that came with your Mac

3. efp722 macrumors regular

A lot of it is just under the hood performance. There are a couple small new features but its nothing serious. The OS isn't broken or anything so your not gonna have any problems.

Go ahead and install and enjoy.

just curious, what kind of mac did you get?! Congrats on the purchase

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just install it. If anything it's definitely the latest OS which you didn't have to pay extra for, it's the future of Mac OS X and you'll get back 7GB of valuable hard drive space.

5. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna go ahead and install it.

I sold my 15" MBP 2 weeks ago, and I got the 24-inch: 2.66GH iMac! Thanks! It feels great to be a part of the family again!

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wonderful!! For BEST results I would highly recommend that you do a full erase of Leopard using Disk Utility from the install screen and then proceed to install Snow Leopard. Some hidden files in Leopard MAY not work well with Snow Leopard. If you want to try the upgrade first then go for it but if you experience instability issues then backup your stuff and do a full erase and reformat.

7. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I installed Snow Leopard about a week ago (I think, the days are just running together at this point [haha]) and I have not had even ONE issue with it whatsoever. I've done some recording on it, heavy downloading from technet (Win 7 RTM) I had type a paper already (on Microsoft Word) and have even been beta testing Rhinoceros for Mac... No issues AT ALL. It makes even an older mac feel new again (that is exactly how I felt once I was done installing it). So much snappier (IMO). :D