Install SL on different partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pratap21, Sep 2, 2009.

1. pratap21 macrumors member

I want to install SL to test compatibility, stability, etc, but I don't want to disrupt my Leopard installation.

Is it possible to create another partition on the internal drive and install SL there? Dual-boot perhaps?

Thanks

2. kathryne_B macrumors regular

kathryne_B

What system are you using now? Is it just Leopard?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

It may be possible to create a second partition using Disk Utility, and then install and run Snow Leopard from the second partition. I do exactly this on my old white Intel iMac.

Be aware that if you do this, you probably should put SL on the "second" partition (i.e., the "next one down" from the uppermost partition you see in Disk Utility's partitioning panel).

I have found that on drives with several partitions, the OS won't boot if it is installed onto a partition "too far down". Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Suggestion:
    IF you have an available external drive, the best option might be to install a clean copy of Snow Leopard onto the external drive, and then do your "testing period" while booting up externally. You can choose which drive from which to boot by holding down the option key at boot time until the startup manager appears, then select the drive you wish to boot from and hit return.