Install SL over Tiger. CD player doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by charlesconn, Jan 3, 2012.

1. charlesconn macrumors newbie

I'm not Charles. I'm his wife, Erika. Charles is not tech savvy. I'm not either but better than my husband.

Here's the story. We bought a used iBook with Tiger installed. It works great except the cd player doesn't work. Someone gave him a gift of a Snow Leopard OS. Well, since the CD Player is on the fritz, I copied the contents to a Flash drive.

Do you think it will work? I'm afraid to try it because I don't want to screw up his computer. He'll get real mad at me if I do. Is there something I should be doing before I click install?:confused:

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It won't work.

3. charlesconn thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, such service

Thank you for your prompt response. What a forum!:)

4. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

In my experience, the optical drives on older Apple laptops were just flaky. I don't know the exact cause(s) for sure, but the fact that the drive isn't working is not much of a surprise to me.

You could get around it by using a Firewire optical drive, but you would still only be able to install 10.5 Leopard (10.6 is not compatible, as pointed out by Darth Titan).

The reason I say it has to be a Firewire optical drive is that, IIRC, PowerPC Macs cannot boot from USB (even though Intel Macs can).

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not true. PPC Macs can boot from USB just fine.

6. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

There are some sources that report that it wouldn't work (or that it would require some sort of extra hacking), which is what I was going by. I don't know if I ever actually tried it myself.