Install Snow Leopard and removing Recovery HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by palz, Jun 6, 2012.

1. palz macrumors regular

For many reasons, I want to dual-boot Lion and Snow Leopard (10.6.8+) on my late-2011 MacBook Pro. I, eh, borrowed a friend's Snow Leo install disc, burned it to an 8GB pen drive, plugged it in, booted, and... Apple logo, plus three beeps. I looked it up and it was something about no good banks... nonetheless, Lion works fine, so this must be caused by something else. I looked up installing SL on a machine that shipped with Lion, and all I've found is that you can install it by using a Firewire cable plus another Mac (that didn't ship with lion... something I don't have access to, but I may try it via my hackintosh.) But there must be another way. I refuse to believe that the hardware itself prevents me from running Snow Leopard except via a Firewire target-disk install. It just sounds a bit absurd.

Anyone have any idea on how to do this? Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Normally a Mac that ships with a later version OS does not support a previous version because there aren't any drivers available. That said, if you find drivers, you can try downloading a Linux Live CD and run that to wipe the partitions off your internal disk. Then reboot back into Snow Leopard, use Disk Utility to format your drive and attempt installation.

3. palz, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

palz thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my MacBook is nearly identical to the one that shipped with SL, so I don't think drivers will be an issue. I was thinking of using Linux to wipe the Recovery HD, but, knowing how Apple doesn't make it easy to optimise your machine in "unorthodox" ways, I thought it may cripple Lion (thus making things very difficult.)

As of now, I burned my install DMG to a partition on my HD, and made one for Snow Leopard. I'll post results back soon.

Update: same as before; three beeps and hang. (the Apple logo looks pre-10.7, just FYI)

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If it's the late 2011 in your sig, you need a Snow Leopard build that's 10.6.6 or higher. Highest retail build is 10.6.3. Roll your own or do a target disc install from another Mac that's running 10.6.6 or higher..

5. palz thread starter macrumors regular

Roll my own :p? I do know that to have it run I need the latest update (I know this from the Firewire target disk install guide), but do I just install the update to my install DVD USB?

6. palz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, Update: I tried removing my HDD and (after writing the Snow Leo install DVD to a partition on an external HD) booting, but I still get 3 beeps. I looked it up and apparently that means "no good banks." This makes me believe it's a driver issue of some sort, since I get nothing of the sort when booting from HDD or CD. (the same thing happened when I booted from USB with the disc copied to it.)

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Try a search. This has been discussed a number of times in the last 6 months. I'm not going over the process again when it's already documented here.