Install snow leopard on a brand new 13 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mini998, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mini998 macrumors newbie

As per the title ,can SL installed on a brand new 13 inch macbook pro which has Lion installed?

Guy at the genius bar said the firmware on new macbook pro will not enable SL to be installed. Is this true?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. grrrz macrumors member

yep it works no problem,
    you can't install it directly though (either fresh install target mode + 10.6.8 update or clone of old system)
    also, i see the latest firmware update requires "10.7.3 or later"
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1499?viewlocale
    so I haven't install it for now in case it would cause trouble with SL, did anyone tried this (update shows up in update manager)?

4. hakuin macrumors regular

I installed the EFI 2.7 update on my late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 when it became available. Have noticed no problems at all with booting or other normal operations.

5. AntJon82 macrumors member

AntJon82

cool

wow if this works with no issues den ima get late 2011 13" and installed snow leopard on it

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Sorry for being such a newbie but why would you want to?

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Some people just like SL better and want it (as they don't like Lion), and some people actually have a need for SL as some of the programs they need are not and will not be supported within SL due sometimes to lack of Rosetta support in Lion.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

SL will install, but needs to be 10.6.6 or better, and the highest retail build disc is 10.6.3 so you're on your own to get it on there. Target disc mode or a restore is your best bet.

Retail disc won't get past the first boot without a kernel panic.

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Good Riddance to Snow Leopard! I have had kernel panics on my iMac ever since I upgraded from Leopard.

I have Lion on my 13" Early 2011 MBP. I don't see what all the fuss is about... The only thing that bugs me is the revised save function.

I only had one Rosetta app remaining: Eudora. Lion got me to finally upgrade my e-mail client. I cannot stand Mail, so after trying all the alternatives I went with GyazMail. I am now a Happy Camper.

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Expose in Snow Leopard was done right.

Mission Control is a complete failure. Until they fix it, I'm sticking to Snow Leopard.

11. /user/me macrumors 6502

What don't you like about Mission Control? I find that it's very useful when I have lots of things going on and not much space to see it all.

12. simsaladimbamba

Imagine going from Spaces in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    to Mission Control in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    Of course, not everyone uses that many Spaces, but Mission Control seriously hampers the usefulness of more than four virtual desktops.