Install Snow Leopard on new internal HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sagaralone, Dec 31, 2014.

1. sagaralone macrumors newbie

hi,
    i recently purchased a new WD blue 500 gb internal hard disk as my previous internal hdd crashed.

i have a snow leopard install disk and i want to install this operatings ystem onto the new hard drive.

how do i go about it. i installed the new drive on my macbook and then inserted the snow leopard disk . while i keep pressing the C key during the chime. it does not load from the disk while after sometime it shows a floder icon with a qwestion mark on it.
    how do i install the new os with my disk on to the new hard drive which is completely blank at the moment

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. sagaralone thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. sagaralone thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook osx install dvd and snow leopard install disk..tried both

6. KYUSS123 macrumors member

I am also at this stage. I have installed a 500gb hdd. I made a boot usb thumb drive and have booted up holding the option key and only have a white screen.
    Sorry to hijack your post but I have a similar problem and have been helped out by this excellent forum in the past. :)

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That Macbook can only install Snow Leopard from its grey restore DVD. It cannot use the black retail Snow Leopard disc. Are you sure you have the correct disc for that machine?

You may not have created the USB drive correctly or that particular USB drive cannot be used as a boot drive for a Mac.

8. KYUSS123 macrumors member

Oh balls. I'll have to dig my discs out and try that I guess.

9. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Hopefully your superdrive isn't dead.

The retail Snow Leopard disk should work just fine. I've got a Late 2008 model myself and that is what I used when 10.6 first came out. They shipped with 10.5.5, at least that's what my restore disks have on them.

Have you tried holding down option while booting up and inserting the DVD? It may take a bit for it to spin up, but if it can boot from it it will show the install DVD.

Should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

The retail DVD came in a box like this:
    [​IMG]

And the disk has the same picture on it. If it's an all grey disk it probably won't work as they're mac specific. But the ones that came with your MacBook should work (10.5.5/6).

These are mine:
    [​IMG]

10. sagaralone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ,

Thank you everyone for your support here.
    I finally solved my problem.
    I will just give you a brief thing about my problem and solution.

Problem:

My Macbook suddenly crashed while i was using it.
    It hanged and then i restarted the mac. but it just wouldn't restart.
    All it did was apple logo with a spinning wheel.
    i tried safe boot but it didn't work. my hard disk was obviously crashed. i removed it from my macbook and plugged it as a USB to a windows and it showed that the volume was damaged and couldn't repair it.

i purchased a new internal hard disk and installed it in my mac book.
    i had a snow leopard DVD install disk so tried to install the OS onto the new hard disk. but it wouldn't load. i think there was a problem with my super drive. and it was not possible to make a bootable USB in windows.

finally the following solution worked:

I got hold of a mac book and made a mavericks bootable USB ( my old hard disk was still recognizable into a windows pc with macdrive and old crashed hard-disk had the mavericks DMG luckily)

made a bootable USB of mavericks in my friends mac and plugged it into my mac-book, installed with the new hard disk. restarted with the usb plugged in and hold the option key. TA-DA, it showed an option to install the mavricks os.

Installed it flawlessly !!!

so all good now

am gonna recheck my super drive , mostly its un-serviceable .

and my old data is all intact just some problem with partition etc, disk utility cannot repair it. surprising thing is that my old mac journaled hard disk is recognized in mac drive in windows but not in into the new mavericks i installed which is weird.
    typed it in a hurry so disregard my English and mistakes.
    let me know if you need any further information

thanks all again