Install Snow Leopard on Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sensamic, May 29, 2010.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hi.

I was thinking of the possibility of buying the Time Capsule from Apple and install on its hard drive Snow Leopard and then use it as the main drive of my imac 27 via wifi. Is this possible?

If not, would it be possible if I bought an airport express? I would buy another external hard drive, install Snow Leopard on it and then connect it to the airport express. This way it would appear online, and on preferences I would select this drive to use as the main OS drive and then unmount the internal drive of the imac.

Are the two ways possible?

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Time Capsule? No. The transfer rate is FAR too slow to be used as a main drive even if you could use it, which you can't. Buy a FireWire800 external instead. The Airport Express USB only supports printers, not hard drives.

3. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

On the apple website it says the usb of the airport extreme does support hard drives. Maybe its still a possibility what I want to do with the airport extreme?

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

No thats still not possible.

Why would you want to do that anyway? Do you realized how UNBELIEVABLY slow your shiny new iMac will be?

5. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. I guess it would be slow, but Im trying to find a way to make the imac as quiet as possible, since the internal hard drive is very disturbing and noisy.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

that's not normal at all, if you live by an apple store take it in. Just back up everything first.

or if you're out of warrenty, just replace the drive, (or have a friend do it, if you're not technically inclined)