Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Hello - I have had trouble installing Canon printer software and Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 lately for the same problem. Both would stop during install and the logs point to an issure with the file "/sw/bin/init.csh" ...

Installing as the root user worked in both cases, but I would like to track down this problem ... I can't even find a folder "sw" on my harddrive. Here is a part of the Acrobat Reader log:

Nov 7 08:55:38 PowerMac : postflight[651]: csh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
Nov 7 08:55:38 PowerMac : postflight[651]:
Nov 7 08:55:38 PowerMac : Install failed: The following install step failed: run postflight script for Adobe Reader Download Manager

System is OSX 10.4 and the PM listed in my signature. Any ideas?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
/sw tends to mean that fink (a nifty way to get and compile Unix tools and apps) is installed. Cannon should not require that!

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Still No Luck ...

* Bump *

Still looking for a fix ... I've tried installing other things recently and the Canon software and Acrobat reader seems to be the only two problem children. Any Unix savvy folks out there that might have any ideas?

thewayfaerer

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Solution! (I hope)

I think this is no problem of the Canon Installer. I had the same problem and it was because this sw/bin/init.csh path was in the .cshrc file in my user directory. This file is invoked by the install script and this leads to the missing file. In my case, I think it was a deleted fink installation.

I think it is save to delete this file, because an initial mac os installation does not have it. To do so, do the following:

- Start a terminal window
- You should be in your home directory (your name at the prompt), otherwise type "cd $HOME"
- You can look into this file with "more .cshrc"
- Delete it with "rm .cshrc". You can also rename it with "mv .cshrc .cshrc_old"

Now the installer should work.
If you don't have this file, then you have a different problem but I think it has to be something similar.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.