Install software onto NEW computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jlblodgett, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

This is probably a silly question...

When I purchased my MacBook a couple years ago, I also purchased Microsoft Office for Mac. I use this software regularly with my work.

I am giving thought to purchasing an iMac, but plan to keep the MacBook for a portable/travel machine.

Can I install my current copy of Microsoft Office onto the new iMac? Or am I going to have to purchase another copy in order to get a fully functioning, registered version of the software on my new machine?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Technically, yes. Legally, probably not, but who is going to check.

3. jlblodgett thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did legitimately and legally purchase the software - it seems like a strange policy / legal position that a bona fide purchaser would not be allowed to reinstall the software on a new computer.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well, technically you bought one license for one machine. You can put it on the new machine but legally you should remove it from the older machine.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Student & Teachers package of Office includes three licenses. If there is a technical impediment such as activation to your transferring a license from one computer to another, then you should call the developer, explain that you have purchased a new computer, and that you would like to transfer your license from the old computer to the new one. It has been my experience that the developer will reset the activation to allow you to make the transfer.