install some apps to second hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slattery69, Feb 4, 2012.

1. slattery69 macrumors regular

when i had my viao i had an ssd as my main drive and i removed the dvd drive and put a second hdd in. on this i use to keep my pics music films etc but also install some apps i needed but didnt access regularly.

now ive my macbook pro ive done similar stuck my ssd in and removed the dvd drive and put the original hdd in its place.

can i install some of these apps onto the second hdd as i dont really need them on my ssd but did need them from time to time. rather than them eating into the limited space on my ssd.

thanks in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All apps should be installed in the /Applications folder. Moving apps elsewhere can cause apps not to function or update properly. Besides, apps don't take up nearly as much space as some of the user files they create.

3. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that id done some googling and got that impression , is it worth moving the user file or just deal with it and make sure i dont run low on space?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many things you can do to conserve space, like moving lesser-used user files to an external drive, splitting your iTunes library between internal and external drives, etc. It's better to leave apps and their associated files/folder where they are. If you don't use an app like Garageband, for example, you can move some of the associated audio files to an external.

5. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, I've got my iTunes library on the second hdd and all my pics for picasa , I'll looking to maybe moving the loops for garageband when I get tight on space