(Install SSD 2.5") Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phildog33, Oct 20, 2009.

1. phildog33 macrumors regular

I installed a 2.5" INtel G2 160gb ssd in my macbook pro and its amazing,, so so fast and smooth running

I want to do the same in my mac pro

Right now my bootdrive is sitting in the Optical box.. using an adapter for 5" bay to 3.25" drive.. two small metal brackets... and my Seagate 1tb which is sata is sitting there.. Ive got my power cable going in and my Sata cable going to the MB

works perfectly

What Mounting hardware or cables would i need to get this going?

or is it a direct drop in using the same sata cable and sata power cable thats powering the big 3.5" drive?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Your post is anything but clear about where you want to install the SSD and what model year of Mac Pro you're dealing with.

At any rate, you will likely need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. Icy Dock makes one that will make the SSD have exactly the same form factor as a 3.5" HD which is ideal if you want to mount it using one of the drive sleds and back-plane connections. Newegg has a promotion on where you get the adapter for free with an Intel 160GB SSD.

If you just want to mount it in the optical bay, something more basic will do.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your 3,5" HDD has the same SATA data and power connectors as the 2,5" SSD. So electrically it is a 100% drop in exchange.

Mechanically you could bother with another adapter but for SSDs no great mounting effort is justified. Just placing it in there with a bit of double sided sticky tape you normally use for carpets or some velcro will do. It's up to you how elaborate you will be.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Spending thousands of dollars or whatever for the Pro and a few hundreds for the drive and then mount it using duct tape?
    What a shame! :rolleyes:

I recommend the IcyDock / Kingston (which is exactly the same just with another label) SSD carrier as stated before and the general metal mounting brackets that you've already got to mount the drive in the lower optical bay.

Works fine, looks fine.
    I've done it that way and it was about 20 quid, so very cheap for a good and solid solution.

5. TheSilencer macrumors regular

There are even 3.5" SSDs out there! :D
    Sadly not as much as 2.5" tho.

6. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

im just going to put it in the optical bay area.. as a 100% drop in using the same cables... but for mounting

id rather not use gaffers tape or double stick

i have those 5>3.25" metal brackets in there now

anything to go from 3.25" to 2.5" also.. or a different bracket?

im thinking I want to put 2x160gb intel SSD in there with raid0.. if there is anyway to do that
    p

7. frimple macrumors 6502

MaxUpgrades has something for that
    http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=188&CFID=2786546&CFTOKEN=73920837

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

No, not in the optical bay of the 2009 machine. You can fit one SSD and put the other one in any of the HDD bays with an Icy dock adapter. They will run in RAID0 fine.

9. wuster82 macrumors newbie

who needs a bracket, use a bent paper clip to secure your SSD

I secured my Intel X25-M this way. Two weeks later, still holding up just fine, the drive isn't that light, so just find a solidly constructed paper clip, bend a C-shape to prop up and prevent the drive's loose end from dipping, and secure with some masking tape. Easy.

[​IMG]

10. grue macrumors 65816

Heaven forbid the inside of a computer might not be "pretty"

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The inside of my box is covered in an unholy combination of adapters and duct tape to allow the two SSDs to stay in there, but god damn is it fast.

12. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Duct tape also works fine and looks fine. Especially since theres a case covering it, completely preventing you from ever seeing it except when modifying components.

I really dont see how duct tape is seen as a 'sin' here.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

My concern with Duct Tape isn't the appearance, but the fact the adhesive could let go in a warm environment (it's happened to me in a car that's been parked all day, and the interior temp was ~150F/65C IIRC; so not impossible to occur in a computer IMO).

14. emt377 macrumors member

The adhesive will permit the tape to slip over time.

15. gotzero macrumors 68040