Install SSD or not with CARE active?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by LucasLand, Feb 3, 2015.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I'm really interested in changing out the HD for SSD in my late 2012 mini. I currently still have a year left on care. I heard putting in an SSD voids the warranty. care is very valuable if i were to have something serious go wrong with the mini. I'm wondering if its just best to wait till warranty expires before opening up mini and making big changes like an SSD?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Putting in the SSD doesn't void the warranty but any damage you cause certainly will.
    If your existing drive is in the lower bay then replacing it isn't too bad.
    Replacing one in the upper bay or adding one to the upper bay means a full teardown.

3. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

i'm new to this. is there a way of knowing if your HD is in lower or upper bay without opening it?

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You can go to Disk Utility and click on your hard drive (not the partition, but the drive itself) and then look down at the bottom for the drive info. Your Connection ID will say either Upper or Lower.

5. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Thanks, mine says "lower"

6. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

I risked it, apparently Apple are quite lenient on the Mac mini with applecare and SSD upgrades.

To me the Applecare is more important regarding peripherals and airport devices, I would put money on those failing before my Mac mini fails.