Install Tiger on a Firewire Drive?

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I'm getting ready to upgrade to Leopard, but I'm somewhat hesitant to lose my mac os classic support. I don't use it much, but I love running classic games like oregon trail and the original sim city. I'm currently running Tiger in a powerbook. I have a clone of my hard drive on an external hard drive (firewire, bootable). I'm wondering if it would be possible to take the tiger dvd that came with my powerbook and install a basic, clean install of tiger onto a small partition of the firewire drive solely for the purpose of running classic games. Is this possible? Also, what is the smallest possible file size for a tiger install (I don't need printer drivers, chinese text support, etc.)?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I regularly run off of my clone that sits on my FW disk to test out backups and to look at older material. Its nearly as fast as my internal. I would not have less than 15GB for a Tiger partition, 20 if you can afford it. Just make sure your drive is connected before you attempt the install.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
I regularly run off of my clone that sits on my FW disk to test out backups and to look at older material. Its nearly as fast as my internal. I would not have less than 15GB for a Tiger partition, 20 if you can afford it. Just make sure your drive is connected before you attempt the install.
I run off of my FW drive sometimes too, but my question has more to do with whether I can install tiger onto the disc from the DVD that came with my powerbook.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
So if you're external drive is already setup with correct partitions, then yes, you should be fine. Do an erase and install on the selected partition and it will work.

EDIT: Actually, if you're talking about the actual disc that came with your powerbook and not the retail version of tiger, than I would guess you're out of luck. As far as I know, this will only work with a retail version...

But really, try it out...

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I was hoping to do the same with an USB drive. Just another little question, is there a way to format the disk so that I can make a bootable Tiger partition and a fat32 partition that I can use with Windows?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was hoping to do the same with an USB drive. Just another little question, is there a way to format the disk so that I can make a bootable Tiger partition and a fat32 partition that I can use with Windows?
I'm pretty sure you can do it, at the minimum, if you use the GUID partition scheme. That's the same partition scheme you use when you use Bootcamp. When you go to Disk Utility and then the Partition tab, you choose the scheme from the options button. Then you should be able to define one partition as OS X Extended / Journaled (HFS+) and the other as FAT32.

I think you can even make an Apple partition scheme disk that has a FAT volume on it, but then I'm not sure it's bootable. So stick with GUID.

adk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
EDIT: Actually, if you're talking about the actual disc that came with your powerbook and not the retail version of tiger, than I would guess you're out of luck. As far as I know, this will only work with a retail version...

But really, try it out...
I'll try it out in about a week or so, but that's what I was afraid of. I'd love to be able to keep on playing classic games with tiger, but It's really not worth any money to me to be able to keep on playing games with 256 colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.