Install Tiger on a Firewire Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adk, Oct 27, 2007.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Leopard, but I'm somewhat hesitant to lose my mac os classic support. I don't use it much, but I love running classic games like oregon trail and the original sim city. I'm currently running Tiger in a powerbook. I have a clone of my hard drive on an external hard drive (firewire, bootable). I'm wondering if it would be possible to take the tiger dvd that came with my powerbook and install a basic, clean install of tiger onto a small partition of the firewire drive solely for the purpose of running classic games. Is this possible? Also, what is the smallest possible file size for a tiger install (I don't need printer drivers, chinese text support, etc.)?

2. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I regularly run off of my clone that sits on my FW disk to test out backups and to look at older material. Its nearly as fast as my internal. I would not have less than 15GB for a Tiger partition, 20 if you can afford it. Just make sure your drive is connected before you attempt the install.

4. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I run off of my FW drive sometimes too, but my question has more to do with whether I can install tiger onto the disc from the DVD that came with my powerbook.

5. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

So if you're external drive is already setup with correct partitions, then yes, you should be fine. Do an erase and install on the selected partition and it will work.

EDIT: Actually, if you're talking about the actual disc that came with your powerbook and not the retail version of tiger, than I would guess you're out of luck. As far as I know, this will only work with a retail version...

But really, try it out...

6. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I was hoping to do the same with an USB drive. Just another little question, is there a way to format the disk so that I can make a bootable Tiger partition and a fat32 partition that I can use with Windows?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm pretty sure you can do it, at the minimum, if you use the GUID partition scheme. That's the same partition scheme you use when you use Bootcamp. When you go to Disk Utility and then the Partition tab, you choose the scheme from the options button. Then you should be able to define one partition as OS X Extended / Journaled (HFS+) and the other as FAT32.

I think you can even make an Apple partition scheme disk that has a FAT volume on it, but then I'm not sure it's bootable. So stick with GUID.

8. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I'll try it out in about a week or so, but that's what I was afraid of. I'd love to be able to keep on playing classic games with tiger, but It's really not worth any money to me to be able to keep on playing games with 256 colors.