Install Tiger on PowerBook G4 with no Optical Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LastLine, Jul 18, 2013.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

My wife's old G4 PowerBook (bless it!) is due an upgrade to Tiger (whoop! Fangled new OS's ;-) )

Anyway, it's optical drive doesn't work, I've not got a compatible external, and I'm a bit stuck how to proceed. I've tried from a .dmg but that doesn't seem to work, it just reboots through rather than actually installing.

I thought about target disk installing from the dvd, however when I try that the machine it's running on tells me it can't run the OS and to go away ;)

Anyone got any great ideas?

Failing that - is there anyway 10.2 can connect to a 'modern' wifi network with WPA2 security? :p

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Clone the DMG to an HDD partition and boot from it holding alt.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I so that in puma? I'm not familiar with it enough to try something like that.

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Oh crap... The only way to do that without 10.4+ is to wipe the hard drive, so that is the only choice. You can go to disk utility and select the HDD go to partitions, select two partitions. Make one of them 8GB and the second partition should occupy the rest of the drive. Drag the OS X DMG to the left side bar, click the DMG, click restore, if the DMG is not in the source box drag it in from the left sidebar, drag the 8GB partition into the destination box, check erase destination, click restore.

5. MrPilot macrumors 6502

I believe you need to select the main drive in disk utils. then options and select apple partition table, so that it can be used to boot from. All of this is at least accessible using disk utilities in 10.5

6. g4manimac macrumors 6502

What machine are u using target disk mode with....Although this may be of no help I GOTTA say that there is a $12 acomdata 2.5 inch firewire external hard drive enclosure that I bought on ebay has saved me so so many times on stuff like this they still have some on ebay and your gonna pay more than $12 just for a firewire from any local computer store around here they're actually rare so they're in the $30 range.Tiger is a pretty good os I hope someone can help u get it installed!

7. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Not without a USB dongle. Airport doesn't support WPA2 until 10.3/4, forget which.