Install Tiger OS / Leopard on Normal windows PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firstapple, Oct 16, 2007.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I have a question for you Apple lovers...

I am new to apple, and love them so far (iPhone). However, I have had windows all my life. I have a gateway laptop with Vista. Can you install Apple's Operating Systems on any laptop, or does it have to be an Apple Macbook? I would love to get the Leopard OS, but can't afford to buy a macbook as I just got my new laptop this past christmas...

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

If you want to use OS X, you have to buy a Mac. Sorry.

OS X isn't supported on non-Mac hardware. And unless you're an uber-hacker, you won't be able to install it on non-Apple hardware because OS X hardware drivers for non-Apple hardware simply don't exist. I am sure there are other reasons also.

What's your Gateway laptop worth on eBay? :)

SL

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Awww darn. Well my girlfriend is getting a macbook for christmas, so I will just ahve to wait and play with hers.

I was also thinking about getting a refurbished mac mini for my desktop... Will the mac mini's run leopard fine?

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Yes, just up the ram to 1 gb

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

And if you really want it to purrr, kick it up to 2gb.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Since when is a Windows machine considered "normal?"

7. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I am going to have to look into all this stuff a little more here... Have to find some good sites that explain all this new apple info for me. Like how to "kick up" the RAM to 1GB...

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Suggestion: Sell your gateway laptop, and add the proceeds from that to the money you'd otherwise spend on a Mac Mini. Use the money to buy a (referb) MacBook, which you will find will also double as a desktop perfectly well. :D

SL

9. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Haha... Knew I would get blasted sooner or later... Normal for me anyways, but probably not for long as all fo the features in Leopard have me drooling. I can't wait until my girlfriend gets hers, then I will definitely want my own I am sure

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Getting a mac is the way to go, because you can install Windows XP, Vista, etc. on your mac, but not the other way around. Assuming you need Windows (which you probably won't).

11. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

you can run mac on a pc using mac osx86 i think it's called...but requires a knowledge of 'hacking' to pull it off relatively easily

but i'd wait till you need a new laptop (or the current laptop if you're really impatient) and then get a base macbook pro..it may be a stretch, but well worth it