Install Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jrock2004, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I have a question about install Mac via a time machine backup. Now right now on my laptop the files are on the hard drive all over the place. Now I know I could buy a disk defragment software but I am cheap :) So if I run a time machine backup of current files and reinstall with the time machine backup will it order them properly on the hard drive?

2. ph7ryan macrumors newbie

I am new to mac, but I believe that there is a free software called iDefrag, that should work... and it is developed by apple

3. ph7ryan macrumors newbie

ok, so never mind I don't think it is free...but I could have sworn that I saw a copy installed on the setup OS X disk...under tools or something at the top...if not, I am sorry, but I would try popping in the setup CD before you try a backup, cause I bet that it will just copy everything back the way it was before...

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

jrock2004, I'd really like to help but I can't really figure out what you're trying to accomplish. The only things you can do with a Time Machine backup are to restore a file that may have been damaged or accidentally deleted, restore your entire computer back to a prior backup (which of course clears anything NOT backed up), or migrate data to a brand new fresh Mac. Restoring the computer to a prior state is not going to defragment your files or clear duplicates that may have been created.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Yes, it would - I had to do this just last week for ...uh.. other reasons. Make sure your time machine is up to date, so you don't lose anything.

You can also do the same with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper copy (make a bootable copy, so you don't even need the boot CD/DVD). In fact, I'd suggest doing that instead of going the TM route.