Install two 1.8" SSDs in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jon03021, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Jon03021 macrumors member

Is this possible? Install two of Intel's X-18Ms into the original HDD space while still having an optical drive?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No. You don't have the plugs in the first place, not to mention the lack of room.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, seeing that you'd need a power and SATA splitter, it's not worth it. For the price of two 1.8"s, you can get the 160GB 2.5"

4. Jon03021 thread starter macrumors member

???

A 1.8" Intel G2 160gb is about the same price(+25 roughly$) as the 2.5''. So my guess is why not try and fit two SSDs in the same space and double the capacity.

two X-18Ms at 160gb
    or one X-25M 160gb

5. rellimyrf macrumors newbie

Intriguing, but would it be practical?

Sounds like a reasonable question. I too would love if there was some solution to get two hard drives in my 15" unibody macbook pro without having to axe the optical drive. I just don't think there is any precedent. Not that it couldn't be done, but there could be serious reliability issues and speed drops by splitting the sata connection. I'm leaning on the optibay (or generic version) option to take out the optical drive, but secretly hoping that large ssd drives will very quickly come down in price.

6. hypermog macrumors regular

What if you just split the optical connection instead? It would place less tax on the original HDD SATA cable.

edit: The technology exists, but it's questionable about whether you could find a product that fits inside a MBP.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You cannot fit 2x 1.8" SSDs since they're physically not 1/2 the size of a 2.5" anyways. You'll run out of room in the first place.

Secondly, the connection for the hard drive allows 1 SATA device, not 2. There are port replication technologies but there aren't any available for a laptop.

Your idea is impressive but it's not possible at this time.

8. Jon03021 thread starter macrumors member

Okay :(

I knew the HP Envy does it so I thought maybe there was a work around for the MBP.